The school timetable is being restructured to accommodate the phased return of the boys. Social distancing requirements limits the number of boys we can allow in each classroom. Therefore each Grade has been divided into two groups. Each group will alternate between online learning from home or in-classroom lessons.
This means that the boys and staff need digital equipment and connectivity urgently.
To address the unexpected costs associated with social distancing and PPE, a new operating budget has been put in place as income has been significantly affected by:
- School fee strains on many parents
- No cash flow income from derby days
- No income from the tuckshops
- No income from the Junior School aftercare programme
In terms of expenses, cuts have been made in order to provide for:
- Extra cleaning of the school
- PPE for teachers and pupils when they return
- Social distancing within the school environment to ensure everyone's safety
The Rector, Headmaster and their Staffs have instituted immediate, proactive and effective steps to introduce online teaching from the day that lock down began.
- Insufficient technological resources and infrastructure has not prevented the staff from moving their academic programmes online as far as possible.
- 100% of staff and boys are now online. However, in some cases boys have to share a laptop, computer or cellphone with their parents, where the whole family has a single device between them.
- Remote learning is vast and costly. Access and connectivity through Wi-Fi, data and devices is not a given for all boys of The Grey. Our teachers also require these remote facilities as well as visualizers and cameras to adequately produce digital lessons.
WHILST OUR SCHOOL IS SILENT AND THE CAMPUS AWAITS,
WE REMAIN IN THE FAITH THAT NEW NORMAL WILL MAKE…
A NEW GREY YET OLD GREY BUT FOREVER GREY WE PRAY
TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO